“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta
Many of us love to travel the world and explore different places. Traveling gives you the freedom and the chance of becoming a storyteller. Recently the adventure travel has become the top favorite option for the exciting traveler. It is also known as adventure tourism. Though, the meaning differs from one person to the other.
For some people, adventure tourism is all about participating in physical and cultural activities that bring them out from the comfort zone. But an important tip to remember is to carry the necessary items like travel neck support pillows, first aid kit, and some essentials that offer comfort throughout your travel. Because safety is the top priority.
Today, in this blog we are going to share with you about the history of adventure tourism and many other interesting things.
Curious to know? Let us check out the blog!
History of Adventure Tourism:
- The concept of adventure tourism is new for the travel industry. Due to which the definition varies from one person to the other.
- As per the UNWTO, Adventure tourism can be domestic or perhaps international, then it must include an overnight stay but not last longer than the year.
- Since ancient time human have been traveling to various places for searching for food and basic reasons.
- Times have changed thereby turning it into commercial tourism. In this type of tourism travelers, hire a professional guide that offers you a range of support and lets you know the history behind the place or monument.
- Today, adventure tourism is full of vibrancy that brings thrill and excitement in the traveler’s life.
- Over the past couple of years, adventure tourism has really flourished with the tourists traveling to the destinations they have never been to.
- During the mid of 1800’s the true adventure spirit stirred up among the travelers for mountain climbing and rafting. Right after that two institutions namely The National Geographic Society and Explorers Club was formed that supports the adventure tourism and it’s tourists.
- This type of adventure is all about doing something that demands risk and fear. Activities like climbing mountains, rock, ice, trekking, and more.
- Most of the times, hard adventures are tied with the risk. Therefore, before going after any activity, one needs professional guidance and advanced skills to perform.
- The name says it all. Soft adventure refers to the less dangerous activities, which are always, lead by professional experts.
Types of Adventure Tourism:
The first type of adventure tourism is trekking. Walking on foot has been the core option for any type of traveling.
Trekking is a great way to explore destinations. It gives you a chance in watching and of course, experiencing the beauty of nature.
It also involves staying overnight in the camps and waking up to the serenity of Mother Nature.
Another yet famous adventure tourism activity is the Spelunking also known as the caving. If we put it into the simple terms then it’s all about exploring the caves for adventure purpose.
It is becoming one of the most favorite options in adventure tourism.
It comprises of trying to squeeze and pass through the caves, tight passages, and more. For someone who is looking out for a thrilling adventure can also opt for various cave levels or perhaps even explore the underwater.
One of the best adventure types that can take place in the snow is snowboarding and snowshoeing. But our favorite is skiing. For the travelers who do not mind the cold weather should certainly check out skiing.
This type of adventure activity includes almost everything. From staying in resort to backcountry skiing, snowshoe traverses, and much more.
Snow adventures are famous in almost every corner of the earth. Starting from North America, Europe, to Antarctica.
4. Free Falling:
Every time the word free falling pops up, there’s an image forming in our head and that is bungee jumping and skydiving. Both of them are a part of adventure tourism.
Free Falling is similar to bungee jumping and skydiving, but it is designed with fewer risks.
For the adventure travelers, the sailing might not be considered as the greatest adventure. However, the small ship cruises to Antarctica, Alaska, and the Falklands can be definitely exhilarating.
This type of adventure tourism include small cruises which are intimate and of course, allow the fellow travelers to know each other better. Unlike the huge cruises, which carry many tourists, the smaller ones help you in discover the rewarding places.
6. Zip Lining:
Zip Lining is a popular adventure tourism activity that means it is available in any part of the world. For the explorers who are consistently seeking excitement without going overboard should go for zip lining.
It comprises of one or many cables that are suspended between the trees and manmade construction. The zip lining is designed to bring the adrenaline rush and enjoy the natural surroundings of the forest and waterfalls.
A famous but common adventure tourism activity is rafting. It can be considered as soft adventure spot as well as the hard adventure depending upon the type of location.
To assure your inner thirst for the traveling, go for the big rafting experience. And if you are thinking for a calming adventure experience then visit at the low water levels.
Last but not least comes the cycling which is another way of transportation. Some of the travelers prefer to explore the destination on the bike rather than going on foot.
It gives you a faster pace and an amazing landscape to check out. Mountain biking is also a similar experience which is challenging but electrifying.
So, there you go with the different types of adventure tourism and it’s history. Remember, to travel is to breathe in the scent of nature and freedom. If you are an avid traveler, do not forget to try out the above-mentioned activities.
Apart from the top eight activities, there are parasailing, scuba diving, and numerous other activities. If you like the blog, then keep reading, sharing, and drop your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below.