India has a great history of emperors and vast culture. People with different religions, different castes live here together. India also has a great history of Forts. When you see India, you find the luxurious palaces and forts. The architecture is surprising, a must-see thing in India. Most of the forts are located in Rajasthan. Rajput warriors or rulers built most of these forts. India has two forts in the list of UNESCO world heritage sites. You may see different and unique types of fort India.
Top 10 forts of India to visit:
- Red Fort: This fort is located in Delhi. Also known as Lal Quila in the local language of India. This was constructed in the 17th century by Mughal Emperor. This historic fort comes in the list of UNESCO world heritage sites. It is made of red sandstone, and it served the Mughal dynasty for over 200 Years. This fort has witnessed several events like the First War of Independence.
- Agra Fort: This is also one of those forts that come in the list of UNESCO world heritage sites. Agra is quite famous for the Taj Mahal, but the fort is also one of the stunning landmarks in Agra. The fort is also made of red sandstone like the red fort. It also served the Mughal Dynasty. It has various buildings inside with mosques.
- Gwalior Fort: One of the most beautiful historical monuments of Madhya Pradesh. This fort is built by Rana Man Singh Tomar. The fort has Sas-Bahu temple, Museum, and Gujari Mahal. These are some inside monuments of Gwalior fort. It is considered as one of the most prominent forts of India. Madhya Pradesh also has various tourist attractions places.
- Amer Fort: This is one of the mesmerizing forts of Rajasthan. Simple majestic, it is located in Jaipur city. It is made from red sandstone and marble. Not only the fort, but the city-Jaipur also has various great places to see. You can visit Sheesh Mahal, Jal Mandir, and Sukh Niwas, etc. Amer is a city of multiple ancient sites. It would help if you drove in Jaipur city to see the majestic Monuments. You can even get an economical ride to explore the whole city. You also choose online mediums like Myle to book a rental car, and you can use Myles’s car coupon to get these rides at a lower price.
- Jaisalmer Fort: This fort is also one of the largest forts in the World. The fort is located in the Jaisalmer, Rajasthan. It was built by Rawal Jaisal. The fort is situated in the sandy terrain of the Thar Desert. In the local language, people usually call it Sonar Quila. The Sonar Quila means “Golden Fort,” and it is 76 m above the town.
- Mehrangarh Fort: The fort is also located in the city of Jodhpur. It is situated above the hill. The whole area of the fort is surrounded by blue colored houses. It was constructed in the 14th century. This fort shows the rich culture of Rathod and Rajput clans. The government has turned this fort into a museum. Inside the fort, you will find various decorated palaces. The fort has seven gates.
- Kangra Fort: The fort is located in the city of Kangra. The Royal family of Kangra builds it. It is situated in the Kangra valley of the Himachal Pradesh. One of the majestic monuments it has is the Vajreshwari temple. The most beautiful way to get most of this fort is to travel by road.
- Srirangapatna Fort: It is located in the Karnataka State. It is very near to the Kaveri River. This fort is also known as Tipu sultan’s palace. And it has Jumma Masjid, Daria Daulat Garden inside. If you visit Karnataka, your trip is incomplete without exploring this fort.
- Chittorgarh Fort: It is also one of the key monuments in the list of UNESCO world heritage sites. It is also one of the most massive forts in India. In ancient history, it was the capital of the Mewar region. The fort has witnessed several attacks, rulers, and mass self-immolation, also known as “Jauhar.” You can see Rajputana architecture, reservoir, and palaces, etc. in the fort.
- Kumbhalgarh Fort: It is located in the Mewar city of Rajasthan. It is one of the best hill forts of India. The wall of this fort has a length of around 38 KM. The length is considered as World’s second-longest continuous wall. The fort has about 360 temples. It also has various historical monuments inside. The fort has its own rich culture.
If you are a person who loves to travel and wants to know more about ancient India, you must explore it. This will show you ancient India. The places that are rich with culture and pride. You can always explore more if you plan and search for things. Most of these forts are located in Rajasthan. They all are featured in many documentaries. These forts show the extensive history of India.
- Best adventure places in India
- Top 10 Travel Destinations of the Planet
- Short treks in Nepal
- The History of Adventure Tourism